Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mini-move

We made good time again today and we're south of Tucson . . . getting ready to cross to Mexico before dawn.

Traveling is a mini-version of moving to another country. You spend an inordinate amount of time doing stuff that wouldn't take a minute at home. Where do you eat in Garden Valley, Arizona, after 9 p.m.? At home, of course. Denny's is your only other choice. (They were very nice about the take-out idea when I called, by the way.)

And where do you walk your dogs when there are no sidewalks near the gas station where you're filling up? I've checked out the back of a few stations now. That's perspective for you!

This Best Western isn't as helpful as last night's La Quinta. They gave our room away, for one thing. Is 8:30 p.m. really that late? I found free wi-fi, but it's not the hotel's -- so I'm hoping my computer isn't contracting a deadly virus as I write this. (Who's SpeedLink 27?)

The dogs are pooped from sleeping in a warm truck all day. Yes, we finally did drive into better weather. Although, the wind in Mojave was unbelievable! I struck up a conversation with a local after he commented on it -- apparently it was unusually breezy, even for a place with about 10,000 windmills. We drove past the Mariah Motel there. Sheesh!

Well, the dogs are fed. I'm waiting for Ross to show up with our Denny's cheeseburgers. Then we need to get to bed for the run for the border first thing.

2 comments:

Lainie said...

D'you have OnStar? I'm thinking, probably not. It'll point you anywhere you want to go...including Denny's. They'll roll off a list of any kind of fare you'd like, then GPS you, turn-by-turn, to your chosen destination. Very cool :)
Well, you're moving right along, aren't you?
I hope you don't mind that i'm your only blogspot commentator so far.
Hope you're entirely settled in right now.
Take care...I mean it :)
Love, Lainie

tracy said...

Peter is wearing his "Bimbo" shirt today, so that makes us all think of you guys!

Does that statement need some clarification? Bimbo, a sponsor of a soccor team in Mexico, is just like Wonder bread!

Love ya,
Tracy