Friday, January 9, 2009

I was a little lonely.


Ross is gone. He's in Tennessee right now to help his parents, who are both ill. He left on Wednesday to visit a client in Atlanta. Since he was partway there, he just went up to Tennessee.

I don't do very well when he's gone. I stay up too late. I'm not very productive.

But tonight our Friday night group rallied round -- even though our chef wasn't here. Ross was cooking for his dad and the nephew who has been taking care of the house while Ross's parents were in the hospital.

I ordered pizza and made a salad.

We talked about a lot of stuff. I think I did most of the talking. When I'm alone here, I talk to myself too much. I hope I got most of it out of my system.
The first night Ross was gone, we had a weird wind storm. Storm may be an exaggeration, but it was definitely eerie -- like Halloween should be. Clouds scudding across a night sky. That sort of thing. I also could have sworn I heard footsteps IN THE HOUSE! This seriously got my heart pounding.

Last night, no wind. But a very quiet house. And then . . . FOOTSTEPS! I start talking (to the dogs, of course) hoping to let whoever it is know there's someone here. Hoping they'd leave. Yikes!

Tonight, I'm busily preparing for the arrival of the group and when I see Slick jump from a chair, he sets it rocking and I hear . . . what sounds exactly like footsteps, unless you know it's the rocking chair.

The photo is from Flickr Creative Commons.







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor you! I'm glad you figured out what it was!

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Footsteps in the middle of the night! Talking to yourself!
This morning, I got up extra early to take a friend to the airport. As I somewhat groggily walked around getting ready, I suddenly heard myself say to the empty living room, apropos of nothing, and about no one that I could discern, "He's as gay as a cricket!" I said it quite cheerfully, as if this was amusing. I have no idea whether I meant gay in the contemporary usage of the word or gay as in happy, but saying it made me smile, and then I thought, 'am I nuts??' Next, I wondered whether crickets are gay, or gay, in either sense of the word. I think I need a nap.

Anonymous said...

My best to Ross's parents, and to Ross in the challenges and decisions attending long-distance concern for parents.

Carolyn Hansen said...

Laraine, it's obvious you're completely sane. Crickets are gay little creatures when they're not trying to be the conscience of puppets who want to be real boys. Learning how to spell encyclopedia is no fun at all unless you learn it from a cricket.

Plus, when you hear voices that no one else hears, you know immediately that they're you and you're alone. Case closed.

Anonymous said...

I don't sleep well when Ted is away, either. It has been a long time since I heard scary noises, though (I'm glad to say). Years ago I heard noises coming from the basement, so I took a kitchen knife and cautiously went down there. Ted was very upset when he heard that...obviously I would have been bringing a weapon to the suspected intruder. Other than that incident, I can't say that I don't sleep because I'm afraid to be alone in the house. It's just...well, it's just not right that he's not there with me.
I hope Ross's parents are improving.
And keep talking to yourself and the boyz. It's a healthful habit.
Love, Nita

Anonymous said...

I feel much better about crickets and talking to myself now, Carolyn--thanks for the wise counsel. Hope you are feeling more at ease if Ross is still away, and that his folks are doing better.
Hugs,

zoompop said...

okay carolyn, it's time to update your blog. bury this sad post topic below the fold already!