Saturday, September 6, 2008

Under water.

Today was the first day of the first-ever Annual Seattle Dragon Boat Festival. My team managed to come in first in our first race. After that . . . it's hard telling how well we did because it's all about the time you make, not your place at the finish line. We raced in two 200-hundred-meter races and one 500-meter.

Then there was the 1,000-meter race. It wasn't a "real" race. It was billed as an exhibition race. While there were 21 teams, only 12 would be in the 1,000-meter race. Our team was one of the twelve. Ouch. Who wants to paddle for -- I don't know -- 5 or 6 minutes if you're really good and 7 if you're not so much?

Our team found a clever way not to paddle for the full thousand meters. Overturn the boat at about 200 meters! Wow, we're smart.

Now, I'm not a swimmer. I hope I didn't panic a whole lot (although I know I panicked a little). My PFD (personal floatation device, the thing formerly known as a "life preserver") did its job and kept my head above water. Oh, I went all the way under, I'll have you know. But getting to the surface was no problem. Getting to the boat and hanging onto my paddle made a lot of sense -- and I did that without much thinking. There were rescue boats close by. I knew that and it helped. I lost a shoe . . . but it floated (!) and someone rescued it. Since I was a known non-swimmer, I got to be the second one into the rescue boat. And it was a nice warm day and the water was fine.

Also, I had brought a change of clothes.

So, other than the inconvenience and embarrassment, it was probably easier than actually paddling my heart out for six or seven minutes.

How'd it happen? We got hit by a wave. If this had been a practice, we probably wouldn't have been oriented in a direction where a wave would broadside us. We'd angle into the waves or maybe go into them head on. I know for a fact we've practiced in much rougher water and didn't have even a close call.

We have at least three more races tomorrow. Call me crazy, but I'll be there!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...glad you're OK!

Carolyn Hansen said...

Yah! Me too!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! And, congratulations to your dad on his birthday and on cooperating with your work to keep him young! I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your aunt, but grateful that it seems she had a lovely long life, complete with her beloved entertaining niece! xx, L.

Lainie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lainie said...

Hey Girl!
I'm so proud of you :) What an accomplishment. This, of course, would include the dunking. As your big sister, I'd like to say thanks to all of your fellow paddlers for looking out for my little sister.

Carolyn Hansen said...

We didn't fall in on Sunday. (Whew!)

We didn't get any medals . . . but we only lost the bronze in our division by about a second, so that's pretty good.

Thanks, Lainie. I'm grateful to my fellow paddlers, as well. Their kind response is what gave me the courage to go out again on Sunday without any qualms. I knew I'd be completely safe.