Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Catching my breath.

I hope we're getting more into the groove of living in a strange place, but sometimes it feels like one step forward and two steps back.

I think I'm out of sorts because Ross left for Phoenix this morning. He doesn't get home till tomorrow night. So I'm here alone with my anxieties. What's that noise? Why is everything so loud? There sure are a lot of people running around here. Will I be in the way if I leave my office? Will the dogs be in the way if I let them out in the yard?

We didn't opt for the new garage, but we're giving the front of the house a facelift. So there are workers and bricks and steel beams and roof tiles and rebar. Oh my.

They work hard and they work long. Their lunch break is hardly noticeable. They seem very cheerful. I want them to go away.

But that's just because I'm in a cranky mood. What I really want is for them to get it done and done well.

At the other end of the spectrum is Ana. She's our housekeeper. She makes no noise. I can't even tell if she's here. I go looking for her and can't find her. My guess is that she hides in the bathroom for hours. I'm pretty sure Ross is happy with her, and he's usually pickier about housekeepers than I am. But I can't tell that she cleans. She loves to organize. My clothes get folded (if I wash them). My toiletries are always neatly aligned. I still see a lot of dirt in the corners.

Hmmm. Get ready for a happier post tomorrow.


No comments: