Friday, June 20, 2008

Comings and goings.


This is our front gate. (And our beautiful Lumina minivan, named Luz Azul.) Our gate is always opening and closing. So many people in and out, it barely seems like our home.

We have half a dozen construction guys in and out of the gate, Monday through Saturday. In at 8:30 a.m. and out around 6:30 or so. Their base station is actually the garage. I'm really, really hoping they'll be done this weekend. They're at the quiet part of the job now . . . but we're still working around them. And we can't feel easy letting da boyz out in the yard while they're here because they could accidentally leave the gate open and the dogs would run out in the street.

Ana, the housekeeper, comes at 9 a.m., Monday through Friday.

Armando and Javier, the gardeners, come three times a week, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Fernando the plumber/electrician has been here fairly regularly -- to repair everything Jesus the plumber/electrician did wrong. (Don't ask.)

Antonio the carpenter has been in and out, measuring for bookshelves.

Yesterday, a Telmex guy came by to replace the wiring to the house. Free. There was no warning, he just showed up at the gate. It was very efficient. He and his team were done in less than an hour, I'd guess.

We now have guests from San Miguel de Allende visiting -- and I'll bet they think we live in a madhouse. It's true, but I didn't want word to get out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Took one look at the lovely Luz Azul, and began to wonder; how much per gallon for Ajijician petrol these days? We're at $40.70 pesos per gallon here.

Carolyn Hansen said...

Excellent question, Anon!

I'll have to take a look at the prices today. Pemex doesn't post what they're charging, because they have no competition. But we're taking our friends into Guadalajara and we'll probably need to stop for gas.

We try to figure out how much Luz drinks, and get tangled up in the math. Pesos to dollars, liters to gallons. And then her odometer is in kilometers!

I just had a brilliant thought. I should weigh myself in kilos! (How much do you weigh? Wow. You need to eat something.)

Lainie said...

Ah, Math! It has to be as easy as dollars to pesos, or I'm lost. I'm guessing that Ajijician petrol has taken the same massive leap skyward as Racinian gas has here in the states.
If we had an eighth-grader around here, s/he could do the simple ratio and proportion formulae. Then we'd know the ugly answer :)
In any case, I need to eat something.

Anonymous said...

When I looked at the lovely Luz, I thought...she couldn't be a WalMart special, could she? (Sorry, I couldn't resist that.)

I also was immediately suspicious of the Telemex team. Free? I guess I've been reading too many magazines for seniors, warning of scams people use to get into your house to rob you.

Carolyn Hansen said...

Since all the wiring in Mexico is completely exposed, we could see that the Telmex guys really were replacing the wiring. But it did run through my head that the guy who came inside saw all the fancy electronics in my oficina -- because that's where the wires came in. It's also pretty clear that if we ever were robbed, we'd have no idea who did it, since so many people have had access to the place.