Sunday, December 14, 2008

Fingerless mittens


I thought I invented this. But I looked it up and lots of web sites showed up. So that's deeply disappointing.

Last week I was very cold at work. Mostly my hands were freezing. I drank coffee all morning and tea all afternoon, just to have a hot mug of something to hold on to.

I tried everything.
My mouse pad has a wrist rest. It feels like someone stuck it in the freezer for a week. So I thought about putting it in the microwave . . . but, on second thought, that seemed like a bad idea. Carcinogens? Fire alarms? Forget it.

I read about a heated mouse. That, at least, would keep fingers warm. But I didn't order it and lost track of the site.

I complained to Holly the receptionist about my problem and she said, "Fingerless gloves!" But that seemed a little restrictive. Typing is my livelihood, after all.

I know some people who wear leg warmers on their arms. (Yes, Zoompop, I'm talkin' about you.) But my arms were fine. It was my wrists and hands.

My mom used to sew wristbands into my new jackets for winter -- and that was wonderful. (Thanks, Mom!) So that provided some inspiration.

Then I remembered, when I got cold on our trip, my sweetie bought me a very nice hoodie in Dubrovnik that has little thumbholes in the sleeves. I incorporated that into my design.

I put all those ideas together (except the heated mouse and the coffee) and I got the incredibly original invention in the picture which has already been invented by many other people.
Before I realized how many other people were already doing this, I was thinking about starting a business (if I could just think of the clever name). I figured out about how much I'd have to charge. Let's see . . . at my hourly rate . . . that's about $594/pair. Plus materials . . . $594.72. Oh, don't forget shipping and handling. We're up to $598.22.
Any takers? If you need them before the weekend, I'll need to add a $50 rush charge.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, frozen hands and an IBM Selectric Typewriter, office in the front room of 233 Langdon St., December 1973 . . . my first understanding that one could find ways to type with gloves or fingerless gloves if really really motivated.
Tell your acupuncturist to work on relaxing and freeing the energy in your neck so your hands will be warm again . . . and keep those fingerless gloves handy for cold rooms!

Eric Chastain said...

Perhaps your problem is that you are telecommuting from your wine cellar. For all its ambience, it is 50ish degrees.

Carolyn Hansen said...

For some reason, I stay warm enough in the wine cellar -- but 68 degrees at work is just way too cold.

zoompop said...

i love the mitts!

fwiw, there are arm warmers out there too, but they're always just a bit spendier (and trendier) than leg warmers. so i go for cheap!

didn't you promise to keep my secret safe? coulda sworn...

glad you're keeping cozy tho! kinda want to see some big penguin patches on the back of them.
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=17978539
belated stocking stuffer, p'haps?

Carolyn Hansen said...

Nothing cheaper than found yarn! (Except my hourly rate throws things off a tad.)

I feel bad about my etsy ignorance. But now I know: type in basenji and find all of my stocking stuffers!