Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye year.

What a wacky couple of weeks it's been.
First, it snows. Then it snows a lot more. We STILL have some piles of it in the 'hood. Snow meant some short days at work, because I didn't want to be stuck in the dark trying to get home. I've never seen roads like this. Until now, anywhere I've been that gets a foot of snow that lasts a week also has snowplows.

I've also had two short weeks at work. Three days last week and three days this week.

You'd think that would mean I wouldn't get much done. But with no one else there, the days seemed a lot longer. I even filed today.

We also had company -- my big brother and my niece's family. That was delightful. And it made the same long days go by very quickly at home.

I should probably reflect on the year 2008 at this point.

This year, we took a risk and lived in Mexico for three months. We learned a lot about what we want and don't want our lives there to be like. We also learned how much our boyz enjoy traveling . . . which led us to consider the whole RV idea. And that idea has not left our heads.

We also took a spectacular vacation in Croatia, Albania and Greece. While we were out of the country, the U.S. financial system verged on collapse. Ross and I are still standing. But we may not be taking any more spectacular vacations for awhile!

I'll also remember 2008 for the presidential election. I don't remember any phenomenon quite like it. The idea that we weren't choosing between Dull and Duller this time was really electrifying. I got addicted to some political web sites, when for the past several elections I've been avoiding that stuff.

In the business world, 2008 turned out to be a nightmare. That's what I read about all day long.

For me, however, this year was a good one. I hope it was for you. I wish you an even better year in 2009 -- and may all your resolutions come true!
The photo is from Flickr creative coomons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and Ross and the Boyz! I was joking to friends that I never expected the Year of the Rat to be about an actual rat (Madoff), but it is good to see much of that in the rear view window. May 2009 be memorable for all the gooooooood that occurs,
xxx, L.

Eric Chastain said...

"When I was fifty one,
It was a very good year.
It was a very good year for wine-loving girls...."

Sinatra would have been a good blogger, at least once a year, anyway. Have a great 2009.
Eric