Friday, December 12, 2008

Grinch.

I hate to admit how much I don't like company holiday parties. I don't really like parties much at all, except the ones I give. I'm shy and awkward. There. I said it.

Our company party is tonight. We've gotten so young and hip where I work that the party doesn't start till 8:30. Cracks me up. That's about when I start thinking it's time to go to bed. I'm sure all the young hipsters won't show up till at least 9. That's when I get out of my chair and go upstairs to get ready for bed. The music and dancing will probably start at 9:30. That's just about when I drift off to sleep.

I will go and show my face. Then all the young hipsters can feel young and hip and superior in comparison. I'll be the one yawning in the corner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a little fun, regardless... Mr. Ross going with you?

-Karin

Carolyn Hansen said...

Oh, yes. I'd be obligated to go to his, if he still worked in an office. We're now sitting here, tapping nails on the desk, waiting for the right time to leave.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a wonderful time! I went to a party this afternoon and thought, 'oh, no, what a terrible mistake', cause I didn't know anyone except the hosts when I walked in. However, my usual strategy of holding on (and squelching my shy urge to hide or leave) until the first conversation worked, and I ended up being one of the last to leave, several new acquaintances richer. I just read/heard something this week about the wisdom of making more and more friends as the years go on (something about keeping the brain healthy)--felt discouraged and then cheered by the thought: hard as it is to make actual new friends, they are (YOU are) the true wealth in my life. xxx, L.

Carolyn Hansen said...

I had much more fun than I deserved, based on my nasty 'tude. I got into a couple of nice conversations and left feeling I'd done okay. (And I got to hear my boss rave to my husband about how valuable I am.)