Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July Parade

According to USA Today, the second biggest 4th of July parade is in Racine, Wisconsin. (The biggest is in Washington, D.C.) I don't remember how long it's been since I've gone. But this year, my sisters and I made it. My sister, Elaine, had a friend save us a prime section of sidewalk along the route. It was great! Many parts of it were exactly as I remember. The differences:

1. I don't remember anyone drinking beer at 8 a.m.
2. No one was selling helium balloons.
3. No one was selling ice cream bars.

One of the cool parts of the parade for us was the section from Zapotlanejo, Racine's new sister city -- that happens to be in Jalisco state, near Guadalajara.

Another highlight was the Dragon Boat Team float -- but my camera battery had died by then, so I don't have a photo yet. (Brother-in-law Ted is going to send me one.)

After the parade, we had burgers at my brother's house. When it got dark, my sister, Anita, and I braved the world famous Wisconsin mosquitoes and went to the lakefront to watch the fireworks. Not quite a spectacular a production as watching the Seattle show from John's penthouse deck, but very nice . . . and the getaway was a lot faster.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sigh...now I'm really jealous. Wish I'd been there!

Carolyn Hansen said...

Me too!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy 4th, post-event. I went down to the beach with my neighbors, after a scrumptious pot-luck barbecue (ribs!) and we were happy, happy campers, wiggling our toes in the sand while seeing not one, not two, but eight fireworks displays, because of the way the coastline curves: Malibu, Palisades, Venice, Redondo, etc., etc. Of course, many just looked like distant miniatures, but the echoes of the booms were impressive!

Lainie said...

Hey Cj!
We *did* had fun :)
Hope you'll share the pictures Ted sends to you.
Surely you're preparing another entry to this blog by now. We're guessing you've been home long enough. Maybe an hour or two. I'll keep checking back. (Just kiddin':)
We're all so glad that everyone has been able to visit muggy ol' Wisconsin this summer. It's always a laugh fest when we're together. Delightful!

tracy said...

Sounds like fun, the kids would have loved it, really wish we could have see you all. We will be in Racine in a few weeks, but I wish our timing could have been better.

Anonymous said...

Love your Iwo Jima photo--my favorite float. I am so happy someone else is as eager to see a parade and fireworks as I am! Thanks, sisters, for making it happen!