Friday, July 25, 2008

Brownout.


I didn't take this picture. (Like you might have thought I did! Ha!) I found it on Flickr. It was taken in Cypress in 2006, but it looks a lot like what happened here last night. I didn't know light could hurt your eyes when you had them closed! I could still count to five before the thunder, but the noise was almost painful as well.

We didn't completely lose power . . . but what happened was odd. When we got up, half the outlets had no electricity, the other half were on half power. For some things that might as well be none. It all came back an hour ago -- before I had to start worrying about the stuff in the fridge.

I know the whole thing made Ross very unhappy because he's cooking for several guests tonight. The stove and oven are gas (propane, actually), but he has a lot of power tools in the kitchen, not just his workshop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the geckos (that is what is on the drainpipes, right?). Congrats on NYT exposure for the coalition!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to say, I hope the dinner party went well and Ross' kitchen was on full-power for the event. Much as I love those big, dramatic, across-the-plains lightning storms, I confess to cowering when the count-to-five routine becomes a discomfiting count-to-WOW! Nature is sooooo wonderfully, scarily powerful.
L.

Carolyn Hansen said...

The dinner party went well, thanks!

The power was on. The guests were delightful. The dogs were on their worst behavior. The grilled pork chops were my favorite part of the meal. (Fortunately, it wasn't raining while Ross was cooking.)

George-Judy Oakes said...

I can explain what happened to the power, if you like :-)

See you soon,

G

Carolyn Hansen said...

It's like having a panel of experts at your disposal, this blogging thing! I love it. George -- I definitely want an explanation when we next see each other.