Sunday, July 13, 2008

Nancy Who?

It isn't a mystery that I loved Nancy Drew as a kid.

My sister, Nita, and I were just talking about White's Bookstore, where much of my collection was bought. I remember the great consternation when the price of a hardcover Nancy Drew (the yellow spines) went from $1 to $1.25. Talk about inflation!

Last year they came out with a Nancy Drew movie. It took me until today to see it because (naturally) I waited till it came out on video. (You've heard me rant about U.S. movie theaters enough already.)

It was a cute movie, but it wasn't Nancy Drew. Neither was the TV series I watched when I was a teenager. This Nancy was an obsessive-compulsive smarty-pants who couldn't make friends at her new school.

In the book, Nancy was excellent in everything she attempted -- ballet, acting, playing the bagpipes, whatever -- but not obnoxious, and she never, ever went to school. Oh, she had her detractors. Occasionally, other girls might be jealous -- but they always turned out to be bad guys. Most people thought Nancy was pretty swell and they wanted to be her friend.

Did anyone else see this movie? Didja like it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I haven't seen it. We know the movie is NEVER as good as the book, but couldn't they at least TRY to have Nancy be Nancy? What a disappointment!

By the way, have you read 'Girl Sleuth' yet? I saw it on sale at B&N when I was in Racine.

tracy said...

Anna liked the movie, but she says it is nothing like the books. The kids and I like to play the Nancy Drew PC games, it puts you in the "crime scence" as Nancy. A very good way to waste an afternoon!

Carolyn Hansen said...

I think the movie would have been better without the Nancy Drew expectations. Looks like Anna could handle that better than I did!

I haven't read Girl Sleuth yet -- but I'd really like to re-read the real Nancy Drew.