Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Rules of the road.


I was talking to my family this weekend about driving in Mexico and realized it's a bit different from what we're used to in the US of A. Let me 'splain you.

In El Norte, driving is an individual sport. He who ends up in the front of the line, wins.

In Mexico, driving is a team sport. Let's all keep moving the best we can. If it means some people will be driving on the shoulder, so be it. Avoid hitting each other. If everyone makes it to our respective destinations in one piece, we all win.

This distinction -- team vs. individual -- gives us the most confusing aspect of Mexican driving for the Norte Americano/a: the use of signals.

In the U.S. (except Texas), we "signal our intentions." In an individual sport, however, signals give too much information to the enemy -- so Texans don't use them.

In Mexico, we use signals to tell others what they can safely do.

That means, what Americans would call a "left turn signal" means "it's now safe to pass me on the left." If it actually meant I was going to turn, I'd already be in the left-hand lane. (Yes, I'd be driving in the lane with all the cars coming toward us.)

If I've gotten bad information from the driver in front of me and I'm passing -- but you're hurtling toward me at 90 kph -- you are expected to head for the shoulder so that I can safely pass the slowpoke.

What Americans call "hazard lights" are also used differently here, i.e., defensively. In the U.S., you turn those on when you're parked someplace unexpected and potentially dangerous. You've had a flat and you're on the side of a two-lane highway, for example.

In Mexico, hazard lights are more of an offensive tool, used while driving. It means, "I'm coming up on something going very slow, or stopped. Don't you rear-end me! I'm signalling you -- so it'll be your fault if you do!"

An arm waving out the drivers' side window usually means much the same thing.

Many rules of the road are considered suggestions here.

Speed limits? Just don't get caught.

Passing on the right? No problema.

Stop sign? Slow down and proceed with caution.

So far, I like the more relaxed approach here in Mexico. It seems to keep everyone moving with a lot less tension. But, philosophically, it may be too fatalistic. Probably a little of both styles would work best in the long run.

2 comments:

Graham R said...

Your comment about Texans not signaling because they don't want to give away information to the enemy is something I've seen before, but never understood. Texans are the nicest, friendliest, most helpful people I've encountered face to face. But once they get behind the wheel of a vehicle, they become aggressive and self-centered. What gives?

Carolyn Hansen said...

It was an easy shot and I took it.

Driving habits are definitely passed along via local culture. In Italy, everyone on the road thinks they're Mario Andretti.

Your point about Texans being nice, friendly and helpful when face-to-face is well taken. (But the NICEST people in the world are from Wisconsin.)