Friday, May 2, 2008

Made it.

We arrived here around 4 p.m. And that's after crossing a couple time zones and losing two hours. (Mazatlan must be right on the edge of Pacific Time.) This was a much more relaxed day. We even allowed ourselves to sleep in a little.

When we got to town, Ross stopped at a restaurant close to home and ordered something for takeout while I walked the dogs to our house. The dog whisperer guy on TV says to walk them around a lot before introducing them to a new home. I guess we went a block. (Hey! It was hot! All three of us were panting by the time we got to the gate.) I took them through the house on leashes and around the yard. They both peed on a tree -- so I guess that means they own the place.

It's so big compared to what they're used to. Or at least what we give them free range to explore in Seattle. They have even lost track of each other once or twice. None of the weird sounds seem to bother them so far, except barking. I've set up my home computer in the room that will be my office -- and they've come in to sit with me some. But they'll go running off as soon as they hear a dog.

They don't seem to be in the mood to gnaw on anything. So that's good. I'm wondering when we'll feel comfortable leaving them home alone. It has to happen at some point!

The weather is in the low 80s. Hot in the sun, nice in the shade. It's the hottest time of year here right now, but we have nice cross-ventilation in every part of the house.

I guess I should go unpack something.

P.S. I think I'll keep going with this until I run out of stuff to say, so keep checking in.

2 comments:

Lainie said...

Way hey!
Welcome "home," at last :)
I'm just imagining the dog action around your place. This time would be so fun to see. If I ever get there again, they'll be all jaded--showing me territories--what will be tolerated and what will not.
It must be somewhat amazing to realize the dog presence after all of this time of vacationing. (As you well know, it's just vacationing if you don't have your dogs with you.)
It was great to hear that customs at the border was reasonable. Just know, you weren't the only ones a bit stressed by the prospect of y'all crossing the border with all that you brought--especially the pups :) Apparently you, Ross, and your dog-faced children, exude all manner of trustworthiness :)
Thenagain, as all we Presbyterians would say, "Whew! Glad that's over!"
In my opinion, it would be so cool if you'dkeep this blog going for awhile.
Welcome home, Hansarns :) Wish I was there.
Now, enjoy your lovely neighborhood, then, get some rest! :)
Love ya, Lainie

Unknown said...

Your comments on introducing your dogs to your house interested me--yes me, the one who doesn't care for animals. Chad and Becca brought Cheyanne to the Outer Banks last year, and when we left her alone she rubbed her nose till it bled in Paul and Signe's sheets and their towels! Of course, Becca washed them, and everyone kept their bedroom doors closed when we left in the future, but she never did it again.

Last Sunday the Bederkas left Chey at our house while we went to some open houses. It's the first time we left her alone at our house, and although I didn't say anything, I wondered...

Chey was very good, though. She was looking out the window and waiting for us when we returned. No damage done anywhere. Of course, she has visited our house once or twice a week for a long time now, so she should have felt right at home.

Glad to hear you arrived and that you are connected to the world via internet.

Nita